Skin Regeneration using the Dermaroller®
A German-designed and patented device available at Karen Bowen Dermal Therapist, the Dermaroller® is used as an anti-ageing and anti-acne treatment, and in collagen induction therapy (CIT), a medical procedure that promotes regeneration of the skin.
It is the only skin-needling medical device listed on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG); it’s listed as a ‘Class IIa – transdermal needle roller’. The ARTG is Australia’s national regulatory agency for medical drugs/devices and the efficacy of the Dermaroller ® has been established in numerous scientific and clinical trials.
In appearance, the Dermaroller® resembles a small paint-roller, the surface of which is covered in very fine needles only 0.13 mm in length. In all, there are 24 circular arrays of eight needles each. These 192 needles are designed to pierce the skin’s natural protective layer, the stratum corneum. As the outermost layer of the epidermis, the stratum corneum is very fine, so the needle size is more than adequate.
Application of the Dermaroller® to the stratum corneum creates micro-channels into the deeper, more viable layers of the skin. In establishing this micro-channel delivery system, the Dermaroller® allows substances applied to the skin to penetrate more deeply. The micro-channels close over within a few hours.
With regular use (up to four times a week), the Dermaroller® has been shown to stimulate the cells of the skin, and when used in conjunction with active ingredients like vitamins A and C and copper peptides, it can reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, scarring and poor skin tone.
Thus, the Dermaroller® has a range of applications, including the following.
- Reduction of enlarged pores
- Re-vascularisation of the skin
- Regulation of the sebaceous glands (which secrete oil in the skin)
- Re-pigmentation of the skin (production of new melanin)
- Creation of a micro-channel delivery system
Before and after use of the Dermaroller®
The benefits of the Dermaroller® compared to other, more invasive skin treatments include the following.
- The process is entirely painless
- There is no damage to the skin
- It can be used on thin, delicate skin
- The skin does not become sun-sensitive as a result of its use
- Used four times a week, its effects last up to six months
- It is quality assured (ISO 9001:2000) and approved
Please note: If you’re unable to visit the clinic, please ask one of our friendly staff members to post your products to you.